Thursday 6 November 2014

Birthday treats 2014


 So it was my boofday again recently. (I know, again! It seems to come around quicker every year!). Unlike most years, I don't have a list of smaller bits to show you and make you jealous. My big treat this year is a new engagement ring.

A new engagement ring? But haven't you been married for years, you ask? Well, yes I have, but I very sadly lost the diamond from my engagement ring earlier this year. (Note to self: make sure settings are checked by a jeweller every year).

I debated for ages about whether to get a new ring or replace the diamond. Lots of research and searching led me decide on a new ring and eventually to find 'the one'. It's a lovely mid-blue round sapphire surrounded by diamonds to make a flower-like pattern. Lucky me!

I also feel really blessed in my friends and family. I had a lovely day beginning and ending with phone calls from family, punctuated by lunch with my lovely husband and dinner with a group of friends in the evening.

There's a Maori proverb which I really identify with:

He aha te mea nui o te ao?
He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!

What is the most important thing in the world? 
It is people! It is people! It is people!

Jewels (and presents generally) are lovely, but the best thing is the feeling that people care and are thinking of me. I know that sounds a bit pious and trust me, I do love presents!

2 comments :

  1. What a sublime gift! Here's a little encouragement to post a photo... and Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duchesse. I didn't want to post a photo 'cos I didn't want to be tooo boastful about my expensive present. Suffice to say it looks a bit like this: http://www.jewelsmay.com/jewels-may/18ct-sapphire--diamond-flower-ring

      Delete

I get really excited when I shout into the void and the void says "hello" back at me. Thanks for your comments!